Spem in Alium
9:30 pm, Thu 14 April 2016
The Epiphoni Consort presents Tallis 40 part motet Spem in alium, within a programme that exploits aural contrasts achievable from different sizes of vocal group in a cappella music. Works range from simple four part harmony, to complex polyphony with voices multiplied ten-fold.
Includes miniatures and lavish liturgical music by Tallis, further illuminated by contemporary works from MacMillan, Dove and Bednall (including the latter’s own 40-part motet, Lux Orta Est Iusto).
- Spem in Alium – Thomas Tallis
- Loquebantur variis linguis – Thomas Tallis
- Sancte Deus – Thomas Tallis
- If ye love me – Thomas Tallis
- Christus Vincit – James MacMillan
- Prayer of St Bernard of Clairvaux – Gabriel Jackson
- Sonnet 33 – Jonathan Dove
- Lux Orta est Iusto – David Bednall
Full programme below.
Nearest station: Charing Cross, Leicester Square