As of Sep 2021:
- We have one tenor vacancy for our regulars list, to start September 2021
- We welcome applications for the waiting list from all voice parts, but are full for auditions this term. We expect to be able to resume auditions in January 2022
Please complete this form to apply and arrange an audition.
About the choir
Many have sung in cathedral choirs and university college chapels; some pursue ongoing vocal study; many sing on London’s church deputy circuit or as occasional oratorio soloists; and many are good old fashioned dedicated amateurs.
The age-range of the present group is 25-55 with the core age group in the late-twenties/early thirties bracket. All age groups are eligible and welcome to apply.
It’s a friendly, sociable choir with equal dedication to post-sing pub and other social events as to music-making.
Typical qualities, experience and expectation of choir members:
- Formal musical training and solid vocal technique
Members have typically studied singing at university, else sung extensively in collegiate or cathedral environments, or other accomplished choirs (e.g. National Youth Choir)
- Ninja sightreading skills
and confident holding a line 1-to-a-part
- Involvement in social side of the choir
Friends make better singers. Epiphoni is right for you if you enjoy getting to know your fellow choir members, going for a drink or three after rehearsals and prioritising social events in your calendar
- Willingness to contribute to the administration of the group
There is a small committee and one part-time staff member; it is otherwise entirely run by volunteers from within the group, with a significant workload to make it all happen
- Excellent “personal admin” – chiefly, replying promptly to fixing emails
- Reliable and conscientious: honouring commitments to projects and making time to put work in between rehearsals
12-16 members of Epiphoni sing in all projects, with a flexible “opt out” option to accommodate clashes. The rest sing in around 50% of projects (“opt in”). We have a separate list of deputies, and also a waiting list. As the choir is so active, those on the waiting list usually get a look-in within a few months.
On average projects are 2-3 rehearsals only. As the schedule is lean, 100% rehearsal attendance is expected.
Singers are asked to prepare music between rehearsals to ensure familiarity and to guarantee the sort of accomplished performances the choir has built its reputation on. We’ve all sung in choirs where the goal is to a good enough job on minimal preparation; with Epiphoni we’re trying to aim a bit higher.
- 2-3 London-based concerts per term
- 2-3 choir-for-hire engagements such as weddings, or corporate events around Christmas — all members are expected to sign up to these (see below)
- 1-2 evensongs in and around London (Westminster Abbey, St Paul’s Cathedral, St Albans to date)
- Half a dozen church services in a rehearsal venues, in return for venue hire discount. A regular is St Gabriel’s Pimlico.
- 1 away weekend
- 1 or more non-music socials in London area
To date, there have never been subs/membership fees to be a member of the choir. Instead, members are asked to sing in at least one of the fundraisers (weddings, carol concerts, corporate bookings) each year. Those who cannot do this generally offer a donation.
On rare occasions where music scores cannot be supplied by the choir, members are asked to source their own music (usually for scores that will get repeat use) but subsidy is available for people with financial constraints.
There are 1-2 out-of-town engagements per year — which have included Canterbury Cathedral, Wiltshire Music Centre, Thurgarton Priory and Churchill, Somerset. Within or around the M25 we ask members to absorb their own travel costs if possible; beyond, travel is normally covered.
Some members make an occasional donation to the choir, via the Friends scheme or directly. These contributions have enabled us to secure a regular rehearsal venue in zone 1 (near Euston) instead of moving round London finding the cheapest option. (Other rehearsal locations include Pimlico, the City (Voces8 Centre), and Vauxhall.)
Arrange an audition
If the above sounds like the right fit, please send a CV and brief email to Tim Reader, Artistic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll let you know the current vacancies situation and when auditions are taking place.